I suggest you ...

Make possible submission of bulk citations enriching set of articles for given field

Being able to submit plain text version of a bibliography with wide coverage for a given field of study (say taxonomy of a genus or family) would add batches of known articles to the set already known to the system. Any one-time processing of such articles would be performed in a "batch mode" improving statistics for the areas for which such bibliographies were submitted. Searches for information on individual taxa would be linked to a (nearly) maximal set of articles. in literature which is otherwise difficult to access. When a nomenclator is constructed (for example) all the articles utilized should be submitted to Biostor in a batch.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rod TullossRod Tulloss shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rod TullossRod Tulloss commented  · 

Yes, it happens that the content for a new taxonomic site that I am co-constructing will include several bibliographies...of which one is now at about 700 citations ranging from pre-Linnaean to the present date and is still growing. Since I am uncertain as to whether another person is likely to take on the group of interest after I can no longer work on it, I would like to maximize the data and tools available for anyone who may develop the taxonomic interest. Bulk loading the bibliography into the resources of Biostor seems like the right thing to do.

• Roderic PageAdminRoderic Page (Admin, biostor) commented  · 

Much of this functionality exists, but I haven't made it publicly accessible. BioStor can import RIS files and search for best hits, and indeed this is how I've created much of the content to date. I guess you'd like an interface where you could upload such a file and see the results?

• Rod TullossRod Tulloss commented  · 

Another thought came to mind. Submission of batches of citations would certainly produce a lot of "non-hits." These "non-hits" could serve to guide Biostor's expansion in terms of additional journals and books available at web localities other than one's currently accessed and searched. Statistics on non-hits might prove useful in evaluating the impact on research of articles' being easily accessible on the web or unaccessible on the web.

Feedback and Knowledge Base